(Redirected from WRF-Fire publications)Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Back to the WRF-SFIRE user guide.
- The WRF-Fire code is described in these papers.
- Vincent Herr, Adam Kochanski, Van Miller, Rich McCrea, Dan O’Brien, and Jan Mandel, 2019. A method for estimating the socioeconomic impact of Earth observations in wildland fire suppression decisions, International Journal of Wildland Fire, accepted, 2019
- Yongqiang Liu, Adam Kochanski, Kirk Baker, William Mell, Rodman Linn, Ronan Paugam, Jan Mandel, Aime Fournier, Mary Ann Jenkins, Scott Goodrick, Gary Achtemeier, Fengjun Zhao, Roger Ottmar, Nancy French, Narasimhan Sim Larkin, Tim Brown, Andrew Hudak, Matthew Dickinson, Brian Potter, Craig Clements, Shawn Urbanski, Susan Prichard, Adam Watts, and Derek McNamara, 2019. Fire behavior and smoke modeling: Model improvement and measurement needs for next-generation operational smoke prediction systems, International Journal of Wildland Fire, accepted, 2019
- Adam Kochanski, Derek Mallia, Matthew Fearon, Jan Mandel, Amir Souri, and Timothy Brown, 2019. Modeling wildfire smoke feedback mechanisms using a coupled fire-atmosphere model with a radiatively active aerosol scheme, J. Geophys. Res. Atmospheres, accepted, 2019
- C. B. Clements, A. K. Kochanski, D. Seto, B. Davis, C. Camacho, N. P. Lareau, J. Contezac, J. Restaino, W. E. Heilman, S. K. Krueger, B. Butler, R. D. Ottmar, R. Vihnanek, J. Flynn, J.-B. Filippi, T. Barboni, D. E. Hall, J. Mandel, M. A. Jenkins, J. O’Brien, B. Hornsby, and C. Teske, 2019. The FireFlux II experiment: a model-guided field experiment to improve understanding of fire-atmosphere interactions and fire spread, International Journal of Wildland Fire, 28, 308–326, 2019, doi:10.1071/WF18089
- A. K. Kochanski, A. Fournier, and J. Mandel, 2018. Experimental Design of a Prescribed Burn Instrumentation, Atmosphere, 9, 296, 2018, doi:10.3390/atmos9080296
- M. Vejmelka, A. K. Kochanski, and J. Mandel, 2016. Data assimilation of dead fuel moisture observations from remote automated weather stations, International Journal of Wildland Fire, 25, 558-568, 2016, doi:10.1071/WF14085
- Kochanski, Adam K., Jenkins, Mary Ann, Yedinak, Kara, Mandel, Jan, Beezley, Jonathan, Lamb, Brian, 2015. Toward an integrated system for fire, smoke and air quality simulations, International Journal of Wildland Fire, 25, 534-546, 2016, doi:10.1071/WF14074
- J. Mandel, S. Amram, J. D. Beezley, G. Kelman, A. K. Kochanski, V. Y. Kondratenko, B. H. Lynn, B. Regev, M. Vejmelka, 2014. Recent advances and applications of WRF–SFIRE. Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, 14, 2829-2845, 2014, doi:10.5194/nhess-14-2829-2014. Special Issue Numerical wildland combustion, from the flame to the atmosphere, Numerical Wildfires, Cargèse, France, May 13–18, 2013.
- Coen, J., M. Cameron, J. Michalakes, E. Patton, P. Riggan, and K. Yedinak, 2013: WRF-Fire: Coupled Weather-Wildland Fire Modeling with the Weather Research and Forecasting Model. J. Appl. Meteor. Climatol. 52, 16-38, doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-12-023.1.
- Jan Mandel, Jonathan D. Beezley, and Adam K. Kochanski, Coupled atmosphere-wildland fire modeling with WRF 3.3 and SFIRE 2011, Geoscientific Model Development (GMD) 4, 591-610, 2011. doi:10.5194/gmd-4-591-2011
- Jan Mandel, Jonathan D. Beezley, Janice L. Coen, and Minjeong Kim, Data Assimilation for Wildland Fires: Ensemble Kalman filters in coupled atmosphere-surface models, IEEE Control Systems Magazine 29, Issue 3, June 2009, 47-65. doi:10.1109/MCS.2009.932224. Preprint available as arXiv:0712.3965.
- Mandel, J., M. Vejmelka, A. K. Kochanski, A. Farguell, J. D. Haley, D. V. Mallia, and K. Hilburn. An interactive data-driven HPC system for forecasting weather, wildland fire, and smoke. In Proceedings of UrgentHPC: The first international workshop on HPC for urgent decision making, pages 35–44. IEEE, 2019. Supercomputing 2019, Denver, CO. doi:10.1109/UrgentHPC49580.2019.00010
- Haley, J., A. Farguell Caus, J. Mandel, A. K. Kochanski, and S. Schranz. Data likelihood of active fires satellite detection and applications to ignition estimation and data assimilation. In D. X. Viegas, editor, Advances in Forest Fire Research. University of Coimbra Press, 2018. Accepted. Available at https://arxiv.org/abs/1808.03318, July 2018.
- Kochanski, A., D. V. Mallia, M. Fearon, T. Brown, J. Mandel, and J. K. Vaughan. Do we need weather prediction models to account for local weather modifications by wildland fires?. In Advances in Forest Fire Research, D. X. Viegas (Ed.), University of Coimbra Press, 2018. Accepted.
- Kochanski, A.K., J. Mandel, M. Vejmelka, D. Burke, L. Hearn, J. Haley, A. Farguell Caus, and S. Schranz. An integrated system for coupled fire-atmosphere-smoke forecasting: current capabilities and plans for the future. In D. X. Viegas, editor, Advances in Forest Fire Research. University of Coimbra Press, 2018. Accepted.
- Farguell Caus, A., J. Haley, A. K. Kochanski, A. Cortés Fité, and J. Mandel. Assimilation of fire perimeters and satellite detections by minimization of the residual in a fire spread model. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 10861:711–723, 2018. Proceedings ICCS 2018, Part II. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-93701-4_56
- Mandel, J., A. Fournier, M. A. Jenkins, A. K. Kochanski, S. Schranz, and M. Vejmelka, 2016: Assimilation of satellite active fires detection into a coupled weather-fire model, Proceedings for the 5th International Fire Behavior and Fuels Conference April 11-15, 2016, Portland, Oregon, USA, International Association of Wildland Fire, Missoula, Montana, USA, 17–22.
- Mandel, J., A. K. Kochanski, M. Vejmelka, and J. D. Beezley, Data assimilation of satellite fire detection in coupled atmosphere-fire simulations by WRF-SFIRE. Advances in Forest Fire Research, D. X. Viegas, ed., Coimbra University Press, 716–724, 2014. doi:10.14195/978-989-26-0884-6_80
- Kochanski, A. K., J. D. Beezley, M. A. Jenkins, M. Vejmelka, and J. Mandel, An integrated approach to fire emission forecasting. Advances in Forest Fire Research, D. X. Viegas, ed., Coimbra University Press, 626–634, 2014. doi:10.14195/978-989-26-0884-6_71
- Clements, C. B., B. Davis, D. Seto, J. Contezac, A. Kochanski, J.-B. Filippi, N. Lareau, T. Barboni, B. Butler, S. Krueger, R. Ottmar, R. Vihnanek, W. Heilman, M. A. Jenkins, J. Mandel, C. Teske, D. Jimenez, J. O’brien, and B. Lefer. Overview of the 2013 FireFlux-II grass fire field experiment. Advances in Forest Fire Research, D. X. Viegas, ed., Coimbra University Press, 392–400, 2014. doi:10.14195/978-989-26-0884-6_43
- Adam K. Kochanski, Jonathan D. Beezley, Jan Mandel, Martin Vejmelka, Forecasting of smoke and wildfire emissions using WRF-Sfire, Numerical Wildfires, Cargese, Corsica, 17th May 2013. presentation
- Adam K. Kochanski, Jonathan D. Beezley, Jan Mandel, Craig B. Clements, Air pollution forecasting by coupled atmosphere-fire model WRF and SFIRE with WRF-Chem, 4th Fire Behavior and Fuels Conference Raleigh, North Carolina, USA February 18 - 22, 2013, abstract presentation arXiv:1304.7703
- Martin Vejmelka, Adam K. Kochanski, and Jan Mandel, Data assimilation of fuel moisture in WRF-SFIRE, 4th Fire Behavior and Fuels Conference Raleigh, North Carolina, USA February 18 - 22, 2013 arXiv:1309.0159
- Adam K. Kochanski, Jonathan D. Beezley, Jan Mandel, Craig B. Clements, Wildland fire emission forecasting by coupled atmosphere-fire model WRF-SFIRE and WRF-Chem 93rd AMS Annual Meeting, 6-10 January 2013, Austin, TX
- Jonathan Beezley, Mavin Martin, Paul Rosen, Jan Mandel, Adam K. Kochanski, Data management and analysis with WRF and SFIRE, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS) 2012, 5274-5277, 2012 doi:10.1109/IGARSS.2012.6352419 arXiv:1208.1061 abstract
- Adam K. Kochanski, Jonathan D. Beezley, Jan Mandel, and Minjeong Kim, WRF fire simulation coupled with a fuel moisture model and smoke transport by WRF-Chem, 2012 WRF Users Workshop, Poster 51 abstract paper arXiv:1208.1059
- Jonathan D. Beezley, A. Kochanski, V. Y. Kondratenko, and J. Mandel, Integrating high-resolution static data into WRF for real fire simulations, Ninth Symposium on Fire and Forest Meteorology, Palm Springs, CA, October 18-20, 2011
- P. Mates, E. Santos, J. Freire and C. Silva. CrowdLabs: Social Analysis and Visualization for the Sciences In proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management (SSDBM), LNCS 6809/2011, pp. 555-564, 2011.
- Jan Mandel, University of Colorado, Denver, CO; and J. D. Beezley, A. Kochanski, V. Y. Kondratenko, L. Zhang, E. Anderson, J. Daniels II, C. T. Silva, and C. Johnson, A wildland fire modeling and visualization environment, Ninth Symposium on Fire and Forest Meteorology, Palm Springs, CA, October 18-20, 2011 pdf
- Jonathan D. Beezley, Importing high-resolution datasets into Geogrid, 12th Annual WRF User's Workshop, Boulder, CO, June 2011. pdf local copy poster
- For the earlier version included in WRF release: Wang, W., Bruyere, C., Duda, M., Dudhia, J., Gill, D., Lin, H.C., Michalakes, J., Rizvi, S., Zhang, X., Beezley, J.D., Coen, J.L., Mandel, J. ARW version 3 modeling system user’s guide. Mesoscale & Miscroscale Meteorology Division, National Center for Atmospheric Research (July 2010, last updated January 2012)
Other WRF-Fire publications, applications, case studies
- These publications deal with various aspects related to WRF-Fire, or report on its use and specific simulations.
- A. H. Souri, Y. Choi, W. Jeon, A. K. Kochanski, L. Diao, J. Mandel, P. V. Bhave, and S. Pan, 2017. Quantifying the impact of biomass burning emissions on major inorganic aerosols and their precursors in the US, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 122, 21, 12,020–12,041, 2017, doi:10.1002/2017JD026788
- Colin C. Simpson, Jason J. Sharples, Jason P. Evans, and Matthew F. McCabe, Large eddy simulation of atypical wildland fire spread on leeward slopes, International Journal of Wildland Fire 22, 599-614, 2013 doi:10.1071/WF12072
- Adam K. Kochanski, Mary Ann Jenkins, Steven K. Krueger, Jan Mandel, Jonathan D. Beezley, Real time simulation of 2007 Santa Ana fires, Forest Ecology and Management 15, 136-149, 2013 doi:10.1016/j.foreco.2012.12.014 arXiv:1202.3209
- Adam K. Kochanski, Mary Ann Jenkins, Jan Mandel, Jonathan D. Beezley, Craig B. Clements, Steven Krueger, Evaluation of WRF-Sfire Performance with Field Observations from the FireFlux experiment, Geoscientific Model Development 6, 1109-1126, 2013 doi:10.5194/gmd-6-1109-2013
- Angel Farguell Caus, Modeling Wildland Fire Behaviour using a Multi-physics System on HPC Platforms, PhD thesis, Autonomous University of Barcelona, 2018.
- Ivan Kasanicky, Ensemble Kalman filter on high and infinite dimensional spaces, PhD thesis, Charles University Prague, 2017.
- Volodymyr Kondratenko, Efficient algorithms for wildland fire simulation, PhD thesis, University of Colorado Denver, 2015
- Nina Dobrinkova, Information systems for simulating the behavior of forest and field fires, PhD Thesis, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, 2012
- Minjeong Kim, Reaction diffusion equations and numerical wildland fire models, PhD thesis, University of Colorado Denver, 2011
- Jonathan D. Beezley, High-Dimensional Data Assimilation and Morphing Ensemble Kalman Filters with Applications in Wildfire Modeling, PhD thesis, University of Colorado Denver, 2009
- Nina Dobrinkova, Stefka Fidanova, Ivan Dimov, Krasimir Atanasov, and Jan Mandel, Game-Method Model And WRF-Fire Model Working Together, in Monte Carlo Methods and Applications, A. Sabelfeld and I. Dimov, eds., De Gruyter, Berlin, 2012, pp. 79--86, doi:10.1515/9783110293586.79
- Jan Mandel, J.D. Beezley, A. K. Kochanski, V. Y. Kondratenko, and M. Kim, Assimilation of Perimeter Data and Coupling with Fuel Moisture in a Wildland Fire - Atmosphere DDDAS, ICCS 2012, Procedia Computer Science 9, 2012, 1100-1109 doi:10.1016/j.procs.2012.04.119
- Mary Ann Jenkins, A. K. Kochanski and S. K. Krueger, The fluid dynamics of steady-state fireline propagation, Ninth Symposium on Fire and Forest Meteorology, Palm Springs, CA, October 18-20, 2011
- Mika Peace, T. Mattner and G. Mills, The Kangaroo Island bushfires of 2007 A meteorological case study and WRF-fire simulation, Ninth Symposium on Fire and Forest Meteorology, Palm Springs, CA, October 18-20, 2011 (Adelaide University/Bureau of Meteorology, Adelaide, SA, Australia)
- Adam Kochanski, M. A. Jenkins, S. K. Krueger, J. Mandel, J. D. Beezley, and C. B. Clements, Coupled atmosphere-fire simulations of the FireFlux experiment: Impacts of model resolution on its performance, Ninth Symposium on Fire and Forest Meteorology, Palm Springs, CA, October 18-20, 2011
- Georgi Jordanov, Jonathan D. Beezley, Nina Dobrinkova, Adam K. Kochanski, Jan Mandel, Bedr(ich Sousedík, Simulation of the 2009 Harmanli fire (Bulgaria), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 7116, 291-298, 2012 8th International Conference on Large-Scale Scientific Computations, June 6-10, 2011, Sozopol, Bulgaria. arXiv:1106.4736
- Kondratenko, Volodymyr Y., Jonathan D. Beezley, Adam K. Kochanski, and Jan Mandel, Ignition from a Fire Perimeter in a WRF Wildland Fire Model, 12th Annual WRF User's Workshop, Boulder, CO, June 2011. pdf arXiv:1107.2675 presentation
- Jan Mandel, Jonathan Beezley, and Adam Kochanski, An overview of the coupled atmosphere-wildland fire model WRF-Fire, 91st American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, Seattle, WA, January 25, 2011.
- Nina Dobrinkova, Georgi Jordanov, and Jan Mandel, WRF-Fire Applied in Bulgaria, Numerical Methods and Applications, I. Dimov, S. Dimova, and N. Kolkovska, eds., Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6046, Springer, Berlin/Heidelberg, 2011, pp. 133-140. Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Numerical Methods and Applications - NM&A'10, August 20 - 24, 2010, Borovets, Bulgaria. doi:10.1007/978-3-642-18466-6_15. Preprint arXiv:1007.5347, July 2010.
- Janice L. Coen and Craig C. Douglas, Computational Modeling of Large Wildfires: A Roadmap., 9th International Symposium on Distributed Computing and Applications to Business, Engineering & Science. Accepted. preprint
- Jan Mandel, Jonathan D. Beezley, and Volodymyr Y. Kondratenko, Fast Fourier Transform Ensemble Kalman Filter with Application to a Coupled Atmosphere-Wildland Fire Model. Anna M. Gil-Lafuente, Jose M. Merigo (Eds.) Computational Intelligence in Business and Economics (Proceedings of the MS'10 International Conference, Barcelona, Spain, 15-17 July 2010), World Scientific, pp. 777-784. doi:10.1142/9789814324441_0089. Preprint available at arXiv:1001.1588.
- Derek Vincent Mallia, Adam Kochanski, Shawn P Urbanski, Jan Mandel, Steven K. Krueger, The importance of resolving small-scale processes and their impacts on large-scale smoke plume dynamics, A23J-2944, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 10, 2019 abstract.
- Troy D Thornberry, Ru-Shan Gao, Laurel A Watts, Steven J Ciciora, Richard J McLaughlin, Karen Hepler Rosenlof, Brian M. Argrow, Daniel Hesselius, Jack Steward Elston, Adam Kochanski, Jan Mandel, The NightFOX project: a small UAS system for wildfire observations, A24L-07, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 10, 2019 abstract.
- Kyle A Hilburn, Adam Kochanski, Jan Mandel, Ned Nikolov, Martin Vejmelka and Angel Farguell, Integrating Satellite Fire Detections with Coupled Fire-Weather-Smoke Forecasting System WRFx for Improved Wildland Fire Decision Making, A53S-2911, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 13, 2019 abstract.
- Jan Mandel, Angel Farguell, James Haley, Kirana Bergstrom, Adam Kochanski, Kyle A Hilburn and Lauren Hearn, Assimilation of satellite fire detections in coupled atmosphere-fire model WRF-SFIRE by machine learning, NG21B-0950, AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA, December 10, 2019 abstract.
- Adam Kochanski, Mallia, D. V., Jan Mandel, Angel Farguell Caus, James Haley, and Steve Krueger, WRFXPY: Numerical modeling framework for operational coupled fire-atmosphere-fuel moisture forecasting, Joint WRF and MPAS User’s Workshop, Boulder, CO, June 10th – 14th, 2019 abstract.
- Jan Mandel, Adam Kochanski, and Martin Vejmelka, Fuel moisture model in WRF-Fire and assimilation of RAWS data, Joint WRF and MPAS User’s Workshop, Boulder, CO, June 10th – 14th, 2019 abstract.
- Angel Farguell, James Haley, Lauren Hearn, Jan Mandel, and Adam Kochanski, Recovering fire arrival time from satellite data by machine learning, Joint WRF and MPAS User’s Workshop, Boulder, CO, June 10th – 14th, 2019 abstract.
- Lauren Hearn, Angel Farguell, James Haley, Jan Mandel, Adam Kochanski, L1 estimation of fire arrival time using satellite data, Joint WRF and MPAS User’s Workshop, Boulder, CO, June 10th – 14th, 2019 abstract.
- James Haley, Angel Farguell, Jan Mandel, Lauren Hern, and Adam Kochanski, Data assimilation cycling in a coupled fire-atmosphere model, Joint WRF and MPAS User’s Workshop, Boulder, CO, June 10th – 14th, 2019 abstract.
- RuShan Gao, Troy D Thornberry, Karen Hepler Rosenlof, Brian M. Argrow, Cory Dixon, Jack Steward Elston, Jan Mandel, Adam Kochanski, The Nighttime Fire Observations eXperiment (NightFOX) UAS wildfire measurements for air quality, fire weather forecasting, and satellite validations, A43J06, AGU Fall Meeting, Washington DC, December 10-14, 2018 abstract.
- Steven K Krueger, Brian Bailey, Mary Ann Jenkins, Adam Kochanski, Derek V. Mallia, Jan Mandel, Eric Pardyjak, Rob Stoll, Natalie S Wagenbrenner, Peter Willemsen, A fastresponse wildland fire modeling framework for prediction and risk assessment, NH31C1005, AGU Fall Meeting, Washington DC, December 10-14, 2018 abstract.
- J. Mandel, A. Kochanski, J. Haley, A. Farguell, M. Vejmelka, S. Schranz, WRFx: An Online Data-Driven Coupled Atmosphere-Fire Modeling System with Automated Acquisition and Assimilation of Satellite Active Fires Detection and RAWS Fuel Moisture Data, EP33E2482, AGU Fall Meeting, Washington DC, December 10-14, 2018 abstract.
- J. Mandel, A. K. Kochanski, E. A. Ellicot, J. Haley, L. Hearn, A. Farguell, K. Hilburn, Retrieving Fire Perimeters and Ignition Points of Large Wildfires from Satellite Observations, NH23C0859, AGU Fall Meeting, Washington DC, December 10-14, 2018.
- Van V. Miller, Adam Kochanski, Jan Mandel, Vince Herr, Sher Schranz, Using Earth Observations to Assess the Socioeconomic Impact of Human Decision Making during the Suppression of a Wildland Fire, 2016 AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, December 12-16, 2016, PA33C-2244, abstract File:Van-Miller-AGU16-poster.pdf.
- Jan Mandel, Aimé Fournier, James D. Haley, Mary Ann Jenkins, Adam K. Kochanski, Sher Schranz, Martin Vejmelka, Tian Yu Yen, Assimilation of MODIS and VIIRS satellite active fires detection in a coupled atmosphere-fire spread model, International Symposium on Data Assimiation 2016, Reading, UK, July 18-22, 2016 abstract poster File:JanMandel-ISDA2016.pdf.
- Volodymyr Y. Kondratenko, J. D. Beezley, J. Mandel, and A. Kochanski, Assimilation of fire perimeter data into the fire spread model SFIRE coupled with the WRF model, 93 AMS Annual Meeting, Austin, TX, January 5-10, 2013.
- Adam K. Kochanski, S. K. Krueger , M. A. Jenkins, J. Mandel and J. D. Beezley, Real time simulation of 2007 Santa Ana fires, Exploring the Mega-fire Reality 2011.
- M. Jenkins, A. Kochanski, S. K. Krueger, W. Mell, R. McDermott, The Fluid Dynamical Forces Involved in Grass Fire Propagation, AGU Fall Meeting, 2010 pdf
- J. D. Beezley, A. Kochanski, V. Y. Kondratenko, J. Mandel, B. Sousedik, Simulation of the Meadow Creek fire using WRF-Fire, AGU Fall Meeting, 2010
- Jan Mandel, Jonathan D. Beezley, Adam K. Kochanski, Volodymyr Y. Kondratenko, Bedrich Sousedik, Erik Anderson, and Joel Daniels, Wildland fire simulation by WRF-Fire, AGU Fall Meeting, 2010
- Kara Yedinak, Brian Lamb, Janice Coen, Sensitivity Analysis and Application of WRF-Fire, AGU Fall Meeting, 2009.
- Kara Yedinak, Brian Lamb, Janice Coen, Sensitivity Analyses of Ignition Area and Fire-Atmosphere Dynamics using WRF-FIRE, 8th Symposium on Fire & Forest Meteorology, American Meteorological Society, Kalispell. Oct 13-15, 2009.
- Kara Yedinak, J. L. Coen, and B. Lamb, WRF-Fire: A fire-atmosphere dynamics module for air quality modeling, The 89th American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting (Phoenix, AZ), 11th Conference on Atmospheric Chemistry, Poster JP 1.10, January 2009.
- Adam K. Kochanski, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT; and M. A. Jenkins, J. Mandel, J. D. Beezley, K. Yedinak, and B. K. Lamb, Smoke modeling in a coupled fire-atmosphere framework, 11th Symposium on Fire and Forest Meteorology,Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 4-7 2015
- Adam K. Kochanski, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT; and M. A. Jenkins, J. Mandel, M. Vejmelka, and S. Schranz, Integrated fire-atmosphere prediction system with data assimilation, 11th Symposium on Fire and Forest Meteorology,Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 4-7 2015
- Colin Simpson, Andrew Sturman and Peyman Zawar- Reza Numerical Modeling of Wildland Fire Behaviour under Foehn Winds in New Zealand, 12th Annual WRF Users' Workshop, 2011 (University of Canterbury, New Zealand)
- Simpson, C.; Sturman, A.; Zawar-Reza, P., Numerical Modelling of Fire-Atmosphere Interactions and the 2003 Canberra Bushfires, American Geophysical Union, Fall Meeting 2010, abstract #NH34A-07, 2010
- A. Kochanski, M. Jenkins, S. K. Krueger, J. Mandel, J. D. Beezley, C. B. Clements, Evaluation of The Fire Plume Dynamics Simulated by WRF-Fire, AGU Fall Meeting, 2010 pdf key
- J. Mandel, Coupled atmosphere-wildland fire simulation by WRF-Fire, Invited lecture at IMA Workshop Numerical Solutions of Partial Differential Equations: Fast Solution Techniques, December 2, 2010. pdf key video
- Janice Coen, Computational Modeling of Wildland Fire Behavior and Weather for Research and Forecasting, keynote lecture at ICCS 2009 abstract
Other publications from this project
- Here are publications and presentations, not dealing directly with the WRF-Fire code.
- N. Andrysco, P. Rosen, V. Popescu, B. Benes, and K.R. Gurney. Experiences in disseminating educational visualizations. In Lecture Notes in Computer Science (7th International Symposium on Visual Computing), volume 2, pages 239–248, September 2011.
- Jonathan D. Beezley, Jan Mandel, and Loren Cobb, Wavelet Ensemble Kalman Filters, Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Data Acquisition and Advanced Computing Systems: Technology and Applications (IDAACS'2011), Prague, September 15-17, 2011, 514-518, 2011
- A.N.M.I. Choudhury, B. Wang, P. Rosen, V. Pascucci. Topological analysis and visualization of cyclical behavior in memory reference traces. IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium (PacificVis), pp. 9-16, 2012.
- A.N.M. I. Choudhury and P. Rosen. Cache ensemble analysis for understanding algorithmic memory performance. In submission to IEEE Computer, 2012.
- A.N.M. Imroz Choudhury and P. Rosen. Abstract visualization of runtime memory behavior. In 6th IEEE International Workshop on Visualizing Software for Understanding and Analysis (VISSOFT 2011), pages 22–29, 2011.
- Janice L. Coen and Craig C. Douglas, Computational Modeling of Large Wildfires: A Roadmap., 9th International Symposium on Distributed Computing and Applications to Business, Engineering & Science. Accepted. preprint
- Jan Mandel and Jonathan D. Beezley, An Ensemble Kalman-Particle Predictor-Corrector Filter for Non-Gaussian Data Assimilation, Proceedings ICCS 2009, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 5545, Springer, 2009, pp. 470-478. Also available at arXiv:0812.2290.
- Janice Coen, Some new basics of fire behavior, Fire Management Today, In Press. pdf
- Janice Coen, 2010: Dry lightning. Southern California Fire Journal, Spring 2010, 18-23.
- Zhen Wang, Janice Coen, Anthony Vodacek, 2009, Generation of synthetic infrared remote sensing scenes of wildland fire. Intl. J. Wildland Fire, 18, 302-319.
- Craig J. Johns and Jan Mandel, A two-stage Ensemble Kalman Filter for Smooth Data Assimilation, Environmental and Ecological Statistics 15, 101-110, 2008
- Janice Coen, 2008: Deadly fingers of flame. Southern California Fire Journal. 1(1):5-6.
- Jonathan D. Beezley and Jan Mandel, Morphing Ensemble Kalman Filters, Tellus 60A, 131-140, 2008 arXiv:0705.3693
- Jan Mandel, Lynn S. Bennethum, Jonathan D. Beezley, Janice L. Coen, Craig C. Douglas, Minjeong Kim, and Anthony Vodacek, A wildland fire model with data assimilation, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 79, 584-606, 2008, article, CCM Report 233 June 2006 revised January 2008
- K. Potter, R.M. Kirby, D. Xiu, C.R. Johnson. Interactive visualization of probability and cumulative density functions, In International Journal of Uncertainty Quantification, pp. (to appear). 2012.
- K. Potter, P. Rosen, C. Johnson, From Quantification to Visualization: A Taxonomy of Uncertainty Visualization Approaches. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology, vol. 377, pp. 226-249, 2012.
- Paul Rosen. Rectilinear texture warping for fast adaptive shadow mapping. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on Interactive 3D Graphics and Games (I3D '12), pp. 151-158, 2012.
- P. Rosen and V. Popescu. Simplification of node position data for interactive visualization of dynamic datasets. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, pp. 1537-1548, 2012.
- P. Rosen, V. Popescu, K. Hayward, and C. Wyman. Non-pinhole approximations for interactive rendering. IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, 31(6), November/December 2011.
- E. Santos, Lins, L Ahrens, J.P., Freire, J, and Silva, C. T., VisMashup: Streamlining the Creation of Custom Visualization Applications, IEEE Transactions on Visualizatiuon and Computer Graphics 15 (6) 1539-1546, 2009
- P.C. Wong, H.-W. Shen, C.R. Johnson, C. Chen, R.B. Ross. The Top 10 Challenges in Extreme-Scale Visual Analytics, In IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Visualization Viewpoints, Edited by Theresa-Marie Rhyne, pp. 63--67. July-August, 2012.
- C. Yang, I. Jensen, P. Rosen. A Multiscale Approach to Network Event Identification using Geolocated Twitter Data. In submission to IMC Workshop on Internet Visualization, 2012.
Earlier publications (before 2008)
- Here are some related publications and presentations from our previous work.
- Janice Coen, Coupled Atmosphere-Wildfire Modeling, NSF Workshop, April 25, 2000
- Jan Mandel Efficient Implementation of the Ensemble Kalman Filter, CCM Report 231, May 2006.
- Jan Mandel and Jonathan D. Beezley, Predictor-Corrector and Morphing Ensemble Filters for the Assimilation of Sparse Data into High-Dimensional Nonlinear Systems, 11th Symposium on Integrated Observing and Assimilation Systems for the Atmosphere, Oceans, and Land Surface (IOAS-AOLS), CD-ROM, Paper 4.12, 87th American Meterological Society Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, January 2007 presentation, CCM Report 239, November 2006
- Jan Mandel, Jonathan D. Beezley, Lynn S. Bennethum, Soham Chakraborty, Janice L. Coen, Craig C. Douglas, Jay Hatcher, Minjeong Kim, and Anthony Vodacek, A Dynamic Data Driven Wildland Fire Model, ICCS 2007, Part I, Yong Shi, G. D. van Albada, P. M. A. Sloot and J. J. Dongarra (Eds), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4487, 1042--1049, Springer, 2007. Presentation
- Jan Mandel, Lynn S. Bennethum, Mingshi Chen, Janice L. Coen, Craig C. Douglas, Leopoldo P. Franca, Craig J. Johns, Minjeong Kim, Andrew V. Knyazev, Robert Kremens, Vaibhav Kulkarni, Guan Qin, Anthony Vodacek, Jianjia Wu, Wei Zhao, and Adam Zornes, Towards a Dynamic Data Driven Application System for Wildfire Simulation V.S. Sunderam et al. (Eds.): Computational Science - Proceedings ICCS'2005, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3515, pp. 632-639, 2005.
- Craig C. Douglas, Jonathan D. Beezley, Janice Coen, Deng Li, Wei Li, Alan K. Mandel, Jan Mandel, Guan Qin, and Anthony Vodacek, Demonstrating the Validity of Wildfire DDDAS, Computational Science - ICCS 2006: 6th International Conference, Reading, UK, May 28-31, 2006, Proceedings, Part III, Vassil N. Alexandrov, Dick van Albada, Dick Geert and Peter M. A. Sloot and Jack Dongarra (Eds.), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3993, Springer 2006, pp. 522-529.
- J. Mandel, M. Chen, L.P. Franca, C. Johns, A. Puhalskii, J.L. Coen, C.C. Douglas, R. Kremens, A. Vodacek, W. Zhao, A Note on Dynamic Data Driven Wildfire Modeling, Computational Science - Proceedings ICCS'2004, vol. III, edited by Marian Bubak, G.Dick van Albada, Peter M.A. Sloot, Jack J. Dongarra, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 3038, Springer, pp. 725-731. Copyright Springer 2004. book, PDF 150K
- Edward G. Patton and Janice L. Coen, WRF-Fire: A Coupled Atmosphere-Fire Module for WRF, Preprints of Joint MM5/Weather Research and Forecasting Model Users' Workshop, Boulder, CO, June 22-25, 2004, pp. 221-223, NCAR.